- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups sugar, divided
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Hershey’s cocoa
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
Ice Cream layers:
- ¾ cup sweetened whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping
- ½ cup fresh fruit, sliced
- Chocolate rosettes (optional)
- ** ½ gallon of your favourite flavour ice cream, slightly softened
1. Heat oven to 350 ˚F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round baking pans. In small mixer bowl, beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add ½ cup sugar, beating until stiff set aside.
2. In large mixer bowl, stir together flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add oil, buttermilk and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Gently fold egg white mixture into batter. Pour about 1 2/3 cups batter into each prepared pan.
3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
4. Cool completely. Wrap each layer separately in foil; freeze several days in advance of serving.
5. Prepare Ice Cream Layers. Remove cake and Ice Cream Layers from freezer; peel off foil. On serving plate, alternately layer cake and ice cream layers, beginning and ending with cake. Wrap tightly; return to freezer.
6. Just before serving, frost top of cake with whipped cream. Arrange fruit in decorative design on top; pipe on Chocolate Rosettes, if desired. 10 to 12 servings.
7. ICE CREAM LAYERS: Line two 9-inch round layer pans with foil; working quickly, evenly spread ice cream into prepared pans. Cover tightly; freeze until firm.
*To sour milk: use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.*